Thursday, March 28, 2013

Being Tested

I am being tested and I am not a fan, repeat, NOT a fan! I guess the good news had to stop at some point, right??

Today I had my (now) weekly ultrasound and non-stress test (NST).  What I thought was going to be no big deal ended up putting me in a completely foul mood.

It all started when we get to the doctor's office and the stupid parking lot is full and we had to park 2 floors under where it's all dark and dingy. I knew I was going to be annoyed from then on out - either that or I was already in a negative mood - not sure.

So we park, go up to the 4th floor, check in RIGHT ON TIME and then WAIT for 30 minutes.  Last I checked my appointment was at 10:00 AM not 10:30. It's not like I was seeing the doctor today so I could convince myself to be calm and patient "because some day he may be late because of me" - No, we didn't need to see him. I simply needed to get my 2 tests and leave. So we waited, and waited and finally we get called back.

I got a GOOD tech this time - not the same ole crabby lady that I have gotten the past 2 times.  She had a student with her to observe the ultrasound - not sure I was the best patient for that becuase I ask literally a million questions - but nonetheless, off we went...30 minutes after my scheduled appointment.

She's still a girl - that's about the only good news I got.

Where do I start???

I guess I will start at the ventricles.  All along E's ventricles have been stable at barely over 1.  1 is the limit to be considered "normal" so any tiny measurement over 1 means NOT GOOD. All along the doctor has predicted that since her ventricles have been stable this whole entire time he doesn't expect them to get bigger and that if they did start getting to 2 or near 2 we would need to re-evaluate. Well guess what folks? We are at 2 and 1.85 now. Seriously, what in the world is going on??? So frustrated. This means less room for the fluid to drain off the brain, increased risk for everything under the sun and more than likely will need the brain surgery to implant a shunt after birth. None of this was on our radar before today because everything has been stable to this point. 

Moving on - next we measured her tummy and bones and all of that and E is still measuring quite small for her gestational age. She should be around 4 1/2 pounds and she is just over 3.  While most women would praise Jesus for a small baby, I need her to be fat so she can tolerate surgery better! 

Then we got to her spine.  Again, the past few doctors appointments we have been able to get a good measurement on the opening in her back. To this point it has been right at 1cm, maybe a little over and the doctor said it would probably grow a little bit just due to her getting bigger but it shouldn't be any larger than an inch at birth. Well guess what again? It is already an inch. Today it measured right at 3cm. Triple what it has been all this time. Yes her bones all still look good but the opening is getting bigger and bigger and this time it got huge. Very discouraging.

We learn all this information and we don't even see the doctor until next week. Thanks for dropping a huge bomb on me and then I don't even get to talk to the medical professional about it.

I have 7 1/2 weeks until my scheduled c-section and if things are going to grow and get this out of control now, what on earth will we be talking about in another few weeks???

Then I have to go get my NST. This is just to make sure that E's heart is doing what it's supposed to be doing and my contractions aren't too strong or frequent.

Takes forever to get the little monitors positioned correctly, but eventually they did get them on.  We sit there for 20 minutes, supposed to be "relaxing" - um hey, word of advice if you want your patients to relax maybe you should do the NST before the ultrasound comes and drops a load of crap on them, just sayin'-

Sit there, her heart does fine, I have contractions but none that are that big, so nothing to worry about.  

Then we get to leave.  I have another ultraound, NST and some other test to measure the amniotic fluid next Friday and meet with the doctor at that appointment. At least I will be able to get some sort of insight after speaking with the doctor - hopefully. 

I have my 3 hour glucose test this Saturday. I was right on the border of failing the 1 hour so they are making me do the 3 hour. I am not a happy camper about this.

Hopefully I get out of my funk real soon because when momma ain't happy, no one is happy :/

Here's our sleepy girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment